A repository of Lady Dove's musings on arts, entertainment and culture.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Prayers, Premonitions, & the Passionate Pursuit of Perfection - Part II of V

On this odyssey I write about iconic figures like the late great legendary drummer Max Roach. I catch up with saxophonist Odean Pope to hear about the latest recordings, configurations and global tour dates of his quartet and renowned Odean Pope Saxophone Choir.

I am humbled when bassist Tyrone Brown invites me into the studio to add my spoken word poetry to his most recent recording project, which also includes the awesome violinist John Blake. Come with me as I meet up with artist and writer Faith Ringgold who has amazing painted “story-quilts” on display in the gallery at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Take a ride to New York City’s Bowery Poetry Club with a caravan of devotees from Philly who sojourned there to celebrate the birthday of the featured poet, Lamont Steptoe.

Revel as I do when listening to the sparkling clarity of songbird Jill Scott’s golden voice in concert at the Liacouras Center on Temple University’s campus. Sit in the audience beside me at the Annenberg Center, at the University of Pennsylvania, mesmerized by the magical song and dance performance art of Angelique Kidjo, a unique brand that she brings to us all the way from Benin, West Africa. Trigger your imagination as I do the same at the Performance Garage for the Jeanne Ruddy Dance Company’s searing, soul-searching concert series.

Relax with me on the waterfront at Penn’s Landing for a spectacular outdoor concert featuring Ledisi and Lalah Hathaway. Join me under the full moon of the summer solstice in the famed Latin Quarter in Paris, France, where I am so very privileged to re-trace all the favorite haunts of the prolific writer, Richard Wright, as a member of the press corps at the International Richard Wright Centennial, which was convened to honor the 100th anniversary of his birth.
Image: Richard Wright Centennial Website

No comments: